Milwaukee PC Non-Customer Service

Last week Friday, a tape got stuck in our Dell PowerVault 132T Library. Luckily, I was able to remove the tape and resume order to our backups...or so I thought.

After checking in Saturday it was clear that we were going to be without backups, something that makes my skin crawl.IMG_3082Image by artescienza via Flickr

So promptly after our return to work after a nice long Labor Day weekend, I rushed out and to purchase an external drive to backup data to.

My choice for such emergency trips is usually Milwaukee PC, since they are likely to have what I need in a pinch even if it is a few more dollars.

IomegaImage via WikipediaThey indicated there indeed was a 2tb drive in stock, so I bought an enclosure and we headed over to the display case to retrieve the drive. Unfortunately the drive was no where to be found...bummer. A 1tb drive was likely not going to be quite large enough, but it was going to have to do. I started planning what data to trim from the backups to make room, then suddenly saw the Radio Shack sign on my right...what the heck, I'll check and see if they have what I need.

Sure enough, they had a Iomega 1.5tb in an enclosure. Just big enough for a full backup of all our stuff. Sold! Now to head back to Milwaukee PC to return the smaller drive.

Only 15 minutes had passed and this was the response I got from the clerk even after I expressed my surprise and dismay; "Sorry sir, but your purchase will be subject to a 15% restock fee.", and "That's our policy..."

Unbelievable. In today's climate you'd think the loss of my business and everyone else I tell this story to is worth more than $24.

Never will I shop Milwaukee PC again, and I will dissuade my customers, family and friends from making the same mistake I did.

Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Anonymous said…
Milwaukee PC has a bad reputation nowadays. Their customer service is horrible and the products they sell are extremely overpriced. Their selection of products is sub-par at best. How do they manage to stay in business?

Popular posts from this blog

NPI Search Redundancy

freeFTPD

Using ImageMagick and Tesseract to sort TIFFs on Windows